2 Samuel 11:11-13 And Uriah said to David, " The ark and Israel and Judah are dwelling in tents, and my Lord Joan and the servants of my lord are encamped in the open fields. Shall I go to my house to eat and drink, and to lie with my wife? As you live, and as your soul lives, I will not do this thing." [12] Then David said to Uriah, "Wait here today also, and tomorrow I will let you depart." So Uriah remained in Jerusalem that day and the next. [13] Now when David called him, he ate and drank before him; and made him drunk and that evening he went out to lie on his bed with the servants of his lord, but he did not go down to his house. 

In the surrounding context we know that David did not practice self control when he saw Uriah's wife. He called for her and he had a sexual encounter with her and got her pregnant. In David's desperation he tried to trick Uriah into laying with his wife to cover up his wrong. It's interesting to see the contrast between David and Uriah especially being that David was the anointed to be king by God and failed in his discipline. It's sad, but encouraging at the same time to see that even such a man at his caliber can fall and to see God be so gracious to him. And on the other hand you see Uriah standing firm knowing that he has brothers in the battlefield and would no way do them the dishonor as to lay with his wife while they're risking their lives. We can take that and apply it to a real scenario today. You can imagine there's people all around the world that don't know the name of Jesus, and their souls are in danger of an eternity of separation from God. On that same note there's our brothers and sisters all around the world fighting the good fight doing all they can to win souls for Christ. With that being said, that should encourage me all the more to beat my body into submission that I may lay hold of the call that the Lord has on my life and that I may be obedient in all things, not compromising even in the smallest things.


Application: I will read this whole chapter and meditate on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog