1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you obtain it. [25] And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. [26] Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. [27] But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.


I love how Paul used athletic training and competition as a picture of the endurance and perseverance that we as Christian need to continue in our ministry. I've never been a disciplined person even when I played sports. The only time I would practice was when I actually had practice. I rarely ever took time on my own to practice to develop my skills and when I say rarely I mean never. So making the transition for me isn't an easy deal. I do struggle waking up in the mornings and I know I need to crucify my flesh in that area. Staying on track with all of the class work is next to impossible short of help from the Lord. Not to mention even making it into class on time or making sure I have everything I need for class that morning. Thankfully I have a group of people that truly love me, and are willing to tell me that I'm slacking and I need to step my game up and being that I'm one of the oldest ones in the group I ought to be setting an example. Recently I've been challenged in the fact that I haven't been faithful in the little things and there's even areas in my life that the Lord has called me to beat my body into subjection and in those areas I've been struggling . Thus I fight, and not as one who beats the air. But I fight as one with a purpose. I fight as one with the goal of finishing the race and receiving an imperishable crown. I must do this so I can maintain my witness, being able to be obedient in all things the Lord calls me to so that I don't become disqualified in my ministry.


Application: I will pray for the Lord to show me any other areas I need to discipline and write them down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog